Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Gary Hallman at the MPC

During and after high school you tend to think you know it all.
If you move onto college your mind is exposed to so much knowledge on such a variety of subjects that you actually start to believe you do know it all. 

If you then venture into a professional degree program, all that knowledge becomes irrelevant, if it is not related to your "advanced degree".  I chose law school (although I suspect all doctorate level programs maybe the same) and became so immersed in "the law" nothing else mattered.  It was more than a full time endeavor.  

Law school subsequently squeezed out all of the knowledge I had accumulated in college and replaced it with "the law".  The law was a source of all knowledge and way of life.  I felt I had learned a lot, but I had forgotten a awful lot more.  

So while practicing law I tried to broaden my horizons again and decided to take college courses on the side.  I decided to try fine art classes and gravitated to night extension courses in photography.  My instructor was Gary Hallman.  I remember not producing much in the way of memorable photographs, but I did learn my way around a darkroom, the basics of composition, and yearlong courses laid the groundwork for jumping back into photography at the dawn of the digital age.  (I also remember spending a lot of time in beer joints with a fellow student Richard Copely who has gone onto become a well-known local B & W street photographer.  But that is another story).    

So I was surprised to learn that Gary Hallman was still teaching at the U of M until just last spring.  I admired his teaching style and the dedication to students he exhibited while I was in the program. (I also like the fact he didn't pan my awful images to death).  I am happy to report Gary is giving an artist's talk at the MPC on November 15th.  If you happen to be available, I would recommend attending to hear him speak on the evolution of photography and his own work. 


No comments: