Friday, June 22, 2012

Why I sold everything for the Olympus OM-D E-M5

The Photographer, is a "site run and published by Chris Gampat. He has worked for Photography Bay, Blind Photographers, PCMag, Geek.com, Magnum Photos, and MAC-On-Campus amongst others. He’s had photos in the NYTimes and all across the web and publishing world. Currently, he’s the Lead Writer for B&H Photo Video’s Social Media team." Recently The Photographer published an Op-Ed called, Why I Sold Everything for the Olympus OM-D E-M5 by Andy Hendriksen on June 21, 2012

Friends, I could have written that article. Over the last couple of months I sold every piece of Canon equipment I had - a total of 16 lenses ('L' level included), flashes, lensbaby, filters, a IR converted 10D and my beloved 5D classic, along with every tiny little accessory that surfaced. I had decided to start over with a clean slate.

Some people suggested I was giving up photography, others thought I had lost my mind. A number of smart souls lined up for a good deal on equipment! Adorama even heard about it from someone and CALLED ME wanting to buy. That was a first! But I am not leaving photography, and I have not lost my mind - at least not that be proved without a doubt. I was ready for a paradigm shift - a change in how I photographed, and how I saw the world. For one thing, Canon costs are escalating. I liked full frame but the new 5Ds, wonderful as they are, had climbed into the $3600 range, with lenses following suit. I really didn't want to haul around a bag of equipment that began at some $10,000 plus - especially considering the weight! I had way too many lenses (my fault entirely, but darn, Canon has some interesting stuff!), and they were either in my car or sitting at home. I could only carry a couple without being worn down by the weight or worry about drawing too much attention.

Then, one night at a club meeting, I saw some work created using a couple of Micro Four Thirds cameras. We were shown images taken with Canon or Nikon AND some with the M4/3. Same time of day, same location. I couldn't tell the difference and it blew my mind. Suddenly, there was an alternative that was outside of a point and shoot. That night I ordered an Olympus EPL2 with a couple of kit lenses, and a Panasonic 20mm 1.7, which was part of system created by the Olympus/Panasonic design experiment called the Micro Four Thirds. For a bit over $1000 I had an entirely new system. I did not sell my Canon equipment for that.....but I began to be sucked into the dark side. I loved the Olympus and the 20mm combination. My 5D was pushed to the side by this tiny little gem and the M4/3 became my go-to guy.

Then came the announcement of a new camera design series by Olympus, the OM-D E-M5, a prospective toe in the pro equipment water. All the Micro Four Thirds lenses would fit, and new ones were on the design table from Olympus, Panasonic, Sigma, a host of others. The camera body was small, the lenses were small, the prices affordable - and it looked like the sensor would be a huge step forward. All the previews created excitement and Olympus ended up with one of the largest pre-orders in their history. They are still trying to fill the demand, as are the lens makers working to take advantage of this new market. Backorders are unfortunately common.

I pre-ordered the E-M5, and it was in my hands early as I managed to be first on the list at our local National Camera store. Then I began to think about selling my Canon bodies and lenses. I really needed a change, but it was a risk. If this thing didn't turn out to be what was being marketed, I was in deep water. Luckily, the E-M5 ended up being everything I had hoped and I was completely sucked into the depths of the dark side. Light weight, reasonable cost, quality lenses, and a most importantly, a quality sensor and great images! Photography for me is no longer about the equipment, it was once again about being just a photographer. And I have my entire kit in one small bag - the E-M5, a 12mm 2.0 (24mm equivalent), 20mm 1.7 (40mm), 45mm 1.8 (90mm), 7.5 fisheye (15mm), and a 40-150mm (80-300mm). Life is good.

No comments: