Monday, February 20, 2012

NEX 7 Mirrorless Camera

I also am convinced that mirrorless cameras will someday rule the market place, although I suspect optics will have to improve to make that happen.  My preference is the Sony Nex 7 camera because it is the closet thing to a DSLR you can presently get.

It has the same 24mp sensor that is in Sony's top of the line A77 in a foot print so small it is hard to believe.  Also, Sony is well known for its prowess with sensor and processing technology.  But back to optics.  It is not known for its lenses.

Sony does make a very nice 18-200mm lens, but Tamron came out with a competitor of the same length that is even smaller and equally as fast, so I bought it.  It is a wonderful lens although a bit slow.  Sony does make a few other lenses, but the Zeiss 24mm (36mm on APCS) is truly amazing even at $1,000.00.  So is the Sony fisheye lens that screws onto the 16mm Sony "pancake" lens.

The lenses are not there yet and the camera speed is not quite there either.  But in most situations so far it has been more then adequate, and its size means it is "there with me" a lot more than my larger DSLR.  Yet despite the versatility of the NEX 7, I am not willing to sell my Nikon equipment and in fact I am trading up to the D800 when available.  DSLR's are where it is at (for now).

To learn more about the Sony Nex line of cameras and lenses go to: SONY.

No comments: