Monday, February 20, 2012

Olympus OM-D E-M5 and Mirrorless Market Share

Olympus has a new 'micro four thirds' that they claim is on level with a professional DSLR. Perhaps not the top level at Canon or Nikon, but it could well be the start of something big.
http://olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1583

As for mirrorless cameras, DP Review recently published graphs and a slideshow that shows Micro Four Thirds as the #1 Interchangeable Lens System in Japan with a current 50% market share. Hugh numbers, indeed. [http://www.mu-43.com/f92/micro-four-thirds-1-interchangeable-lens-system-japan-21403/]. Although the United States still has the lowest share of mirrorless, only some 10%, and still buys a lot of Canon and Nikon interchangable lenses, it only makes sense that mirrorless cameras could expect to increase market share. DSLRs are great products and have a great following, but some of us are rethinking our choice of photo tools and glancing in the direction of the the mirrorless product.

Personally, I have just sold off my Canon 5D and a dozen lenses to jump on the mirrorless bandwagon with the new Olympus OM-D expected to deliver in early April. Its lighter, and less expensive than the Canon line - and boasts some impressive specs. I purchased an Olympus Pen M4/3 last year and was suitably impressed enough to sign on for a pre-order of the OM-D. I like the portability, I like the size, I like the price. I really like the image quality. Here is a sample - nice color, detail and exposure. (Image is resized for the web, but in the original, detail is excellent. Olympus E-PL2, 20mm 1.7 Panasonic lens.)

Did I mention that it's weatherproof?

1 comment:

Barb Smith said...

That was a some time ago, but I am still pleased with my choice. I love, love, the OM-D E-M5 and I am sure the E-M1 will be amazing. This camera line was better than I expected and I can still highly recommend it. Good luck.