Saturday, December 25, 2010

MATCH COLOR IN PHOTOSHOP

There is a handy little trick you should be aware of in Photoshop that can be used to change the color rendition of an image using the colors from an unrelated image.

I started with the image below. While somewhat dynamic in capture, the color cast is washed out because it was taken on a wet and overcast day.



I admired the color rendition of the image below and thought it might provide the basis for a welcome change to the image above.



In Photoshop I opened both images. Then I went to Image>Adjustments>Match Color while the image I wanted to change was selected. The dialogue box asks to indicate what image to match the colors from. I indicated the source image above. Then another dialogue box with limited controls appeared. There were sliders to change the luminosity, color saturation and fade to the final image. The result is below.


This process does not work for every image, but it can be effective to change the color rendition of images that weren't originally taken in great light.

No comments: